The comprehensive advanced supplement to enhance the regeneration metabolism of your dog's joint cartilage.
Like all body parts, the joint cartilage regularly renews itself. Calbrex™ can stimulate this natural renewal process with a combination of active compounds that boost cartilage metabolism. Calbrex™ can improve joint stiffness and it can significantly stimulate the cartilage remodeling activity. In supporting the growth of new cartilage tissue, Calbrex™ can have a positive impact on the joint structure and provide benefits for joint function. Breeds at a higher risk for joint issues can use Calbrex™ early on to secure their joint flexibility.
(*) The sooner the joint condition is taken care of, the faster the results will appear.
Daily serving: 5 gr (for 45 lbs dog) / Servings per container: 30
Bioactive Collagen HP-BCP Special Pets
The most effective form of collagen for joints adapted to dogs digestive system
Collagen HP-BCP is the best known form of collagen for joint health and it has been extensively studied in different clinical trials. Because dogs digestive system differs from humans, specific adjustments were made to ensure a high rate of absorption at the gut level. HP-BCP Pets is proven to enhance the joint renewal metabolism and stimulate the growth of new cartilage tissue in dogs. HP-BCP Pets is well absorbed and it concentrates in the joints where it has a significant impact on specific cells within the cartilage that are responsible for regularly producing new cartilage components. These cells, called chondrocytes, will increase their synthesis of collagen and proteoglycans, which together represent 95% of the cartilage structure. The efficacy of HP-BCP has been confirmed in international clinical studies conducted by independent and renowned research institutes. It can boost the natural regeneration process of cartilage tissue.
DETECTION OF STRUCTURAL BENEFIT ON JOINT CARTILAGE
A study from the Collagen Research Institute in Kiel, Germany has shown that HP-BCP Collagen peptides accumulate in joint tissue and stimulate cell biosynthesis to produce collagen and proteoglycans. The compound has shown its ability to support the growth of healthy joint tissue and this positive impact has also been observed using MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) technology.*
Hyaluronic Acid Complex HJ
Helping to maintain quality synovial fluid
To perform well, joints need lubrication and this is why there is a thick viscoelastic substance called the synovial fluid inside the joint capsule. What confers this fluid its remarkable properties is Hyaluronic Acid (HA), a molecule that has the ability to hold up 1000 times its weight in water. HA forms large viscoelastic gels that reduce friction between cartilage surfaces and protects them.
Arthritic joints have a much lower concentration of HA than normal joints and restoring adequate HA levels is an important part of joint health. The Hyaluronic Complex HJ is a unique patented natural ingredient with a high content of sodium hyaluronate as a mix of High/Very High molecular weight Hyaluronic Acid. HA is the chief component of synovial fluid and its usefulness has been proven in numerous clinical trials.
Low Molecular Weight Hyaluronic Acid (LMW-HA) is sometimes touted as a better HA because it allows for a better intestinal absorption. But scientific evidence shows that HA is only safe and beneficial in its High Molecular Weight form (HMW-HA). Research has revealed that LMW-HA can be harmful as it promotes inflammation and has other negative side effects. On the other hand HMW-HA is much more effective at retaining water and its rate of absorption is significant enough to accumulate in the joint cavity. Good quality HA can sustain sound joint lubrication and protect the joints.
Research has observed that the sulfur content of cartilage decreases with age, and that this decrease parallels degeneration in the joints. A study has clearly shown that arthritic joints have sulfur levels three times lower than healthy ones. Sulfur is necessary for making collagen, the primary constituent of cartilage and connective tissue.
MSM is a bioavailable natural form of organic sulfur found in all living organisms. It is exceptionally well tolerated and it is rated as one of the safest substances in biology. Sulfur is the third most abundant mineral in humans and mamalians, after calcium and phosphorous. There is a general assumption that sulfur requirement is met with adequate protein intake which provides the amino acids methionine and cysteine, but disfunctions in methionine metabolism could induce sulfur deficiencies.
MSM is very helpful for joint metabolism. Even severe cases of joint alteration can benefit from MSM supplementation as it is able to significantly improve discomfort without any side effects. Aside from supporting a healthy inflammation response, MSM can stimulate the the immune system and improve the internal production of glutathione, the body's major own antioxidant.
Eggshell Membrane NEM®
Eggshell Membrane NEM®is a food-sourced ingredient derived from the membrane of an eggshell. It supplies essential nutrients needed to support joint mobility and the healthy production of cartilage and connective tissue. It is a unique biological matrix proven bioavailable and effective. Double-blind, placebo-controlled and open-label trials have all showcased an increase in joint comfort, flexibility, and increased range of motion. Published human studies have shown beneficial results in 7-10 days.
Chondroitin sulfate LMW Pharmagrade & Glucosamine Hcl
Glucosamine and Chondroitin are the most popular substances and most widely used ingredients in joint health products. Clinical studies are numerous but results are unclear and differ widely. After years of research, it is still difficult to precisely assess their level of efficacy but they no longer appear to be silver bullets as once thought. Nonetheless they can be useful in assisting other active ingredients and help restore functionality faster. There is also data showing that these mucopolysaccharides support the healing process of injured tendons.
It is important to remember that Chondroitin in its basic form it is mostly useless since it is simply not absorbed. The benefits of Chondroitin Sulfate only concerns the pharmagrade CS, a highly purified and depolymerized substance. Conventional food grade chondroitin is a very large molecule that is not assimilated through the intestinal mucosa. The molecular weight of the Chondroitin used has a direct influence upon its level of efficacy. The properties of the low molecular weight Chondroitin do not apply to conventional Chondroitin (Biol. Pharm. bull. 27(1)47-51 - 2004).
Harpagophytum procumbens, known as Devil's Claw is traditionnally used for its benefits on the joints and concerns about rheumatic ailments. It helps with joint stiffness and excessive inflammation and its effectiveness is commonly attributed to its identified special active constituents, the "harpagosides". Several clinical trials have shown positive outcomes in alleviating discomfort and it appears to help inhibit the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines. This result seems derived from its harpagosides content but also from the interaction of several substances contained in its root (1). Devil's Claw appears to be effective for regular joint problems with a notable improvement that reaches peak efficacy after a period that ranges from 6 to 8 weeks (2) (3) (4), though some scientific sources cite a 4 months duration to reach maximal efficacy (5).
Orthosilicic acid (non-crystalized silica)
Silicon is an essential trace mineral that is naturally present in the human body. It play a major role in bone strength, healthy skin and nails and cartilage formation. Studies have shown that a silicon deficient diet produces aberrant metabolism of the bone and connective tissue leading to structural abnormalities of the articular cartilage with small and poorly formed joints. It was later discovered that silicon deprivation decreases collagen formation in wound healing as well as bone formation.*
Silicon is widely available and abundant in nature but its bioavailability is very poor. It is an extremely unstable compound that crystalizes very quickly forming an insoluble inert substance. Its absorption is drastically low and it can’t be utilized by the human organism.
Calbrex™ contains a stable high absorption form of dietary silicon. It is an ortho-silicic acid molecule stabilized in maltodextrin. It is stabilized by a proprietary method that inhibits the polymerization of ortho-silicic acid, keeping the molecule stable and increasing its bioavailability in the body.
The ongoing studies conducted on the miracle spice from India keep confirming its usefulness for an ever wider range of health concerns. Turmeric is also helpful for joint health as it fosters a balanced inflammation response by modulating several inflammatory signals. Its active component, Curcumin, is able help encourage a healthy level of pro-inflammatory enzymes and it can also stimulate the immune system to avoid over-reactiion on inflammation areas. Clinical research on orally administrated curcumin has shown that it is effective when taken for several weeks and up to several months. The level of relief demonstrated is in the range of 40 - 60% improved flexibility on threadmill testing.
- Oesser, S.; Adam, M., Babel, W. and Seifert, J. (1999). "Oral administration of 14C labelled gelatine hydrolysate leads to an accumulation of radioactivity in cartilage of mice (C57/BL)". Journal of nutrition 129 (10): 1891–1895. PMID 10498764
- Oesser, S.; Seifert, J. (2003). "Stimulation of type II collagen biosynthesis and secretion in bovine chondrocytes cultured with degraded collagen". Cell tissue research 311 (3): 393–399. doi:10.1007/s00441-003-0702-8. PMID 12658447
- In-Vivo: A Randomized Double Blind Placebo Clinical Trial Evaluating the Efficacy and Safety of Hyal-Joint® Compared to Placebo for the Improvement of Quality of Life in Adults with Osteoarthritis of the Knee. Kalman et al (2008) Nutrition Journal. 7(3) (http://www.nutritionj.com/content/7/1/3)
- Comparison of different experimental designs to evaluate of an intervention in osteoarthritis patients. D. Martinez-Puig, C. Chetrit, I. Möller. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, Volume 19, Supplement 1, September 2011, Page S147
- Motohashi et al. Concentration and degradation of hyaluronic acid in knee synovial fluid from carrageenin-induced rabbit arthritis. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 1990 Jul;38(7):1953-6.
- Balogh et al. Absorption, uptake and tissue affinity of high-molecular-weight hyaluronan after oral administration in rats and dogs. J Agric Food Chem. 2008 Nov 26;56(22):10582-93.
- Bellamy et al. Viscosupplementation for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee. Database Syst Rev. 2006 Apr 19;(2):CD005321.
- Ruff and al. Eggshell membrane: A possible new natural therapeutic for joint and connective tissue disorders. Results from two open-label human clinical studies. Clin Interv Aging. 2009; 4: 235–240.
- Wedekind et al. Beneficial effects of natural eggshell membrane (NEM) on multiple indices of arthritis in collagen-induced arthritic rats. Modern Rheumatology Volume 27, 2017 - Issue 5 p 838-848
- Benson et al. Effects of Natural Eggshell Membrane (NEM) on Cytokine Production in Cultures of Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells: Increased Suppression of Tumor Necrosis Factor- α Levels After In Vitro Digestion. Journal of medicinal food 15(4):360-8 · December 2011
- E. M. Carlisle, In vivo requirement for silicon in articular cartilage and connective tissue formation in the chick,J. Nutr. 106, 478–484 (1976).
- E. M. Carlisle, A silicon requirement for normal skull formation in chicks,J. Nutr. 110, 352–359 (1980). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1255267?dopt=Abstract
- Formation in Wounds and Bone, and Ornithine Transaminase Enzyme Activity in Liver C. D. Seaborn and F. H. Nielsen March 1, 2002 https://link.springer.com/article/10.1385/BTER:89:3:251
- 1. Anauate and al. Effect of isolated fractions of Harpagophytum procumbens D.C. (devil's claw) on COX-1, COX-2 activity and nitric oxide production on whole-blood assay. Phytother Res. 2010 Sep;24(9):1365-9. doi: 10.1002/ptr.3124.
- 2. Chrubasik S, et al. Comparison of outcome measures during treatment with the proprietary Harpagophytum extract doloteffin in patients with pain in the lower back, knee or hip. Phytomedicine. (2002)
- 3. Chrubasik S, et al. A randomized double-blind pilot study comparing Doloteffin and Vioxx in the treatment of low back pain. Rheumatology (Oxford). (2003)
- 4. Chrubasik S, et al. A 1-year follow-up after a pilot study with Doloteffin for low back pain. Phytomedicine. (2005)
- 5. Thanner J, et al. Retrospective evaluation of biopsychosocial determinants and treatment response in patients receiving devil's claw extract (doloteffin). Phytother Res. (2009)
- Jackson JK, et al. The antioxidants curcumin and quercetin inhibit inflammatory processes associated with arthritis. Inflamm Res. (2006)
- Ramadan G, Al-Kahtani MA, El-Sayed WM. Anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties of Curcuma longa (turmeric) versus Zingiber officinale (ginger) rhizomes in rat adjuvant-induced arthritis. Inflammation. (2011)
- Belcaro G, et al. Efficacy and safety of Meriva®, a curcumin-phosphatidylcholine complex, during extended administration in osteoarthritis patients. Altern Med Rev. (2010)
Eggshell Membrane NEM®
|Subtitle||The comprehensive advanced supplement to enhance the regeneration metabolism of your dog's joint cartilage.|